Alumier Skin Experts / January 17, 2019
As the largest organ of the body, the skin is constantly changing. In addition to skin regeneration that happens every 28 days, the skin’s pigment is also quite active. Sunspots, age spots and uneven skin tone are always a battle that we seem to be fighting. Now that the new year has begun, this is the perfect time to freshen up your skin care routine with some pigment-focused home care treatments tailored to bring about a more even and brighter complexion.
What Is Pigment?
Pigmentation is related to the production of melanin which protects the skin cells and their DNA by absorbing the sun’s ultraviolet rays (UVR). The UVA can stimulate the melanocytes, which are pigment cells found in your skin. This, in turn, creates the melanin. The longer the melanocytes are stimulated, (i.e. from various UVA-exposed activities including tanning) the darker the melanin becomes. Not only does the sun trigger pigment activity, but it also can be the result of various medications – including contraception, which can affect hormone levels.
The Pigment Problem
Occurs when melanin forms deposits in specific areas of the skin, causing the affected skin to become darker than the skin around it.
Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH):
Evidenced by the appearance of brown patches found in areas of the skin that have been subjected to trauma, inflammation or a combination of both. Common causes include acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Caused by long term exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun or tanning beds.
This is irregular pigmentation such as freckles, age spots, and uneven skin tone.
These are symmetric brown patches that appear on sun-exposed areas of skin, most often the forehead, cheeks, nose, upper lip, and/or chin. This can be the result of hormones, genetics, and medications combined with UV exposure.
The Pigment Solution
Even though pigment can prove to be frustrating, the solution is quite simple.
It’s available in 2% and 4% formulations and for Normal/Oily and Dry/Sensitive skin types. The Brightening Collection includes:
- Purifying Gel Cleanser which removes the excess oil and impurities.
- Lightening Lotion (available in 2% and 4%) which includes hydroquinone and licorice root extract scientifically formulated to brighten the complexion and reduce uneven skin tone.
- Retinol Resurfacing Serum 0.5% geared to reduce the fine lines wrinkles, improve cell turnover and minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation with time-release technology.
- HydraCalm to help soothe redness and sensitive-prone skin while hydrating the skin.
- Clear Shield Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 42 to protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays.
So, go ahead and push uneven pigment to the curb with The Brightening Collection. The science-focused approach will give your complexion a great boost for the new year!